Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Anatomy of a Painting

I thought I would share with you guys how I developed one of my most recent paintings.

Below is my setup, I was trying to get a good lighting position. In the foreground is my pastel box, filled with soft pastels and a few hard pastel sticks. Yep, I know it looks crazy, blame it on no space, lol.



That's my initial sketch, of the final arrangement. I wanted to know how the highlights and shadows would look. I am working on toned Winsor and Newton paper.





There's much of the painting done. It still needs a few tweaks, but I like it. 

What do you think? It's part of my series exploring my womanhood and art.

2 comments:

  1. I love it.. I love art. I stumbled on your blog today on nairaland during my research-capade ( if there is anyword like that). I loved your constructive criticism on a 2013 old thread " RE: my latest art piece" . I also took your advice [ look for Bert Dodson's
    "Key to Drawing" and Harley Brown's "Eternal Truths
    for an Artist"]. I am an amateur artist , who aspires to open an art gallery in future. I am at a point in my drawings and paintings ( I just started ) where I am afraid to think outside the box. Please any tips for an amateur female artist + formal training. Thanks I love your work tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that's so kind of you. Well, I'm going to do a piece on female artists. Please stay tuned.

      Delete