Thursday, December 26, 2013

Antique Beauty

Hello.

Gosh, it's been a while. I've been busy and not prioritizing properly. And I do sincerely apologise. Merry Christmas, too.

In today's Art world, we talk about contemporary artists, we drop names of exhibitions we've attended, glibly. But we, Nigerians, we do something very, very wrong.

We never look back.

100 year old Olowe statue, yoruba tribe



60 year old Yoruba warrior and horse statue


65-70 year old mirror statue, Igalla tribe

80 year old Igbo-Ukwu brass vase



Before you cry "oh the fetishness of it all!", please remember you avidly watched tv shows and movies about mythological greek deities (yep, you paid money to watch an Anglicised version of Sango, in a red cape, fall in love with a human woman, defeat his half brother, ad save the world with other superheros). We know sooo much about Zeus, and are not overly worried Christmas Day used to be a pagan celebration the Catholic church appropriated. So, let's respect those who believed in other religions, because you're dreaming of going to Egypt to one day see the Pyramids and the Sphinx. Amirite?

I'm glad to say some of these came home with me, and what I learnt about their history and the people who made them came along too, and I will pass that information to my children's children, so they know they are not lost.

"...A people's relationship to their heritage is the same as the relationship of a child to its mother..." 

John Henrike Clarke


Ye me ike.

No comments:

Post a Comment